Listen as Ryan does 3 quick high school baritone vocal range evaluations!
Student A (8th Grade): A2-E4
Student B (10th Grade): F2-E4
Student C (11th Grade): F#2-F34
- Keep it simple
- Do an ascending exercise on [ja] – Do, Re, Mi, Re, Do
- What’s the last note that is sung consistently before falsetto kicks in or there is a noticeable difference in tone quality?
- Do a descending exercise on [ja] or [di] – Sol, Fa, Mi, Re, Do
- Choose [di] for more tense or younger students with less control. It will help you get a nice buzzy resonance and make it easier for the lower notes to pop out.
- Choose [ja] for students with better breath control.
- BONUS: To hear where the chest/head break is, do an exercise like [i] [a] [i] (Do-Sol-Do). That gap of a 5th will really allow you to hear where the student sings in their head and in their chest voices.
- Mark your findings.